Sunday, August 4, 2013

Vacation and a Break from Thought

My family has been on a lovely vacation this week at a lake house with my parents, sisters and their families in the beautiful state of Vermont. I have enjoyed the week and being "away from it all", the slow summer days, watching my son play and swim in the lake with his cousins, having bonfires and making smores at night.

I really needed this time away, lately my thoughts have been bringing me down. I have been in the midst of reading "Garbagology" by Edward Humes, and while very informative, this book has really been bringing me down. I feel that even if I make an effort to reduce my waste, everywhere I look around me it is astounding to see the amount of waste going on. It really is astronomical. I found myself being irritated by every giant SUV I see, every plastic water bottle. " Don't these people care at all?" I think in despair to myself. But, this kind of thinking does not bring me anywhere but down.

I am trying to live and find ways to make positive impact in and outside myself, but it was very nice to be away and not think about the waste in the world for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment