Thursday, August 15, 2013

Do you live in the moment?

I'll confess, I have a really hard time living in the moment. I am a forward thinker, and a natural worrier. I am always thinking about the next meal, the next day, heck, the next 5 years.

This isn't always a bad thing. I attribute this type of thinking the reason why we have a healthy savings account (we can't buy that! we need to save that money!) and in turn curbing any wasteful spending (well, do I need this? will I used this tomorrow, next week, next decade?) and my concern for the environment (this plastic's gonna be here longer than me!)

But, I will admit it does take away from say, savoring moments with my child when I am constantly thinking of what's next. And they grow fast! So I want to savor those moments.

I have found yoga and meditation to be helpful with training myself to live in the moment. The constant focus on your body, your breathing, really allows me to slow down.

My husband is the opposite. He is a "live in the now" person. He frequently gets lost in what he is doing, unaware of the time passing by. When I ask him what he wants to do at a later date, I don't get much of an answer- "how am I supposed to know where will be in 5 years?" I think of the John Lennon quote, "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." -He's living, I'm planning. Maybe this has something do to with being a musician? They ability to live in the moment, savor the music.

I think we compliment each other- each grounding the other to a happy medium somewhere on the life spectrum.

What kind of person are you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment