Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Inspiration from a Bumper Sticker?

While on vacation I spotted a bumper sticker that said, "The best things in life aren't things". This got me thinking. Which isn't normal, (ha) because bumper stickers usually make me think "ah, look at that dumb bumper sticker. bumper stickers are dumb." (Profound thoughts.)

But, I got to thinking how that is true, the best things in life aren't things. I've noticed I've gone through kind of a developmental process when it comes to "things".

See, I grew up middle class so I never knew a life with true needs. My parents didn't indulge me silly, but I was quite privileged (not trying to brag, just stating as is.) I don't think I thought much about material possessions, they were there, I had them, I enjoyed them.

When we got out own our own, my husband and I had a baby real young, (i. e. no money) and we are both in fields of the not high earning type (arts and education). So, in the beginning (and still currently), we don't have a lot of money. This has meant we have had to forgo things.

In the beginning, I can remember thinking about all the baby stuff and adult stuff I would like to buy if we had money. I didn't buy it because I didn't have the money to (at one point we didn't even have the internet, as we could not afford it). My parents instilled a very "anti-debt" sentiment in me, so I wasn't going to go into debt for these things I wanted, but I still wanted them. I wanted to drive a more appropriate "mom" car, not my old Volkswagen Jetta. I wanted fancy jeans, not thrift store jeans. I wanted to "fit in" . Somehow I thought I wanted to define my personality through these things.

Then, as time wore on, and I developed more as a person, (and had my journey to minimalism) I came to a revelation: even if I had the money, I wouldn't want to buy these things. Who I am isn't defined by a collection of things I own(or don't own). My stuff isn't my personality, it is just tools I need for survival. My pants keep me decent. My car gets me from point A to point B.  I mean, of course I want good food and decent shelter, but beyond that, happiness doesn't come from a better car, a bigger house, or snazzy clothes. My happiness comes from the time spent with my family, the evening walks, the board games, the wading in the creek. The discussions in bed late morning with my husband and son about what we dreamed the night before. The things that are not things.

I don't have a ton of money now. I have traded money right now for time - time to be a mom (my most favorite job). But, even if I had a million bucks, you'd still see me in thrift store jeans.

Because really, the best things in life aren't things. All that from a bumper sticker.

Katie

3 comments:

  1. We, too, have traded money for time. We would much rather spend time together, having adventures, than spend more hours at work and earn more money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoyinh readin about your current adventures- I am going ot go back and read about your earlier journies on your blog as soon as I get a chance. I love the traveling in to RV, and congrats on your new apartment. If it was up to my son, we would have a family bedroom, but my husband's not so crazy on that idea. We did cosleep until he started kindergarten though.

      Katie

      Delete
    2. Sorry about the typos, typing fast on the ipad always messes me up!

      Delete