Friday, August 30, 2013

Low Waste Baby- What I have so far

It seems every where you go you hear about how expensive it is to have babies. That's why for me it is always refreshing to see articles like this one :What do babies really need?
We got a lot of unneeded stuff with our first child, and we had an over abundance even though we were financially challenged.
So, this time around I plan on have a "low waste/minimalist" baby. This is what I have acquired so far:

1.) Clothing
I lucked out- my sister had a baby boy in January and has bagged up his clothes as he out grows them and given them to me. If this wasn't the case, I would scout out friends, free cycle, craigslist, and yard sales for baby clothes before I bought anything. People seem to be happy to give you their baby clothes they no longer need anymore.
Cost: Free

2.) Food
I plan on nursing so I haven't actually bought any food. But, I am preparing myself in the event nursing is difficult (as it was for me with my first). A friend gave me a box of glass baby bottles she no longer needed anymore which made me super excited! I wanted to use plastic-free bottles. Once again, if I had not gotten these from a friend, I would have scouted the Internet for second hand glass bottles.
Cost: Free
Nursing pillow- this is one thing I bought and I don't know why. I bought it when I was first pregnant on impulse- (no one's perfect right?) We'll see how this works out.
Cost: $12.00

3.) Shelter/Bed
We currently live in a 900 square foot carriage house and have no plans on moving, so no additional cost there. My older son's crib has since been recalled, so we are debating the sleeping situation. My first son never slept in his crib (he slept in his pack and play or our bed), so we are looking at pack and play and mini crib options. My older son really wants a bunk bed for him and his brother- we'll see about that down the road!!
Cost: estimated between $60-$100

4.) Diapers
I plan on cloth diapering. So far the least expensive yet not total pain in the butt option I've seen is the pre folds with covers. I am purchasing this econobums sample pack and possibly a couple of pocket diapers, just because they get a lot of good reviews. I am flexible to find something that works for me.
Cost: $100-$300

5.) Car Seat
We will get a car seat- but I am still driving my 2002 Passat and my husband has a 1998 Camry. The Camry just keeps on truckin'. Word to Toyota. Anyway, you do not all the sudden need a 7 passenger SUV when you have 2 kids. With 3 kids, sometimes a mini van is necessary because 3 car seats don't always fit in a sedan.
I still scouting out family and friends for a car seat, but if not we will buy one.
Cost: around $100

6.) Baby Seat- Leftover from first son. I am not buying any swings or seats unless I know this baby really wants to sit in them. A blanket spread out on the floor with some toys is usually just as fun for baby. My older son hated the swing!
Cost: Free

So that's it so far. I know I might need to adjust once he arrives and I adjust, but there isn't much you really need for baby.

What do you think?

Katie

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Katie! I am so happy to read how little you're spending and how much you're thinking about what he will and will not like before going out and buying it. I am so impressed that you are living in a 900 foot carriage house (our townhome is 1400 sq ft and too much space for us!). My favorite line in this whole post: you do not all the sudden need a 7 passenger SUV when you have 2 kids.

    I know I'm going to learn a lot from you. I can see from your other posts you'll help me eliminate so much plastic. Well, perhaps you'll have to talk to Houston and get us some farmer's markets....ho hum...

    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy-
      We do have an unfinished basement which houses my husband's music studio- I won't lie and say if a 1400 sq ft place came our way I wouldn't be happy to have a little more space- but it's what we can afford and the trade off is we have a nice big outside area next to a state park.

      I am excited, I just ordered our co sleeper today :)

      Thanks for stopping by. Your blog always makes me smile.

      Katie

      Delete