Monday, April 28, 2014

I Bought Something New

So, I bought something new even though I said I wasn't going to buy anything new.

But, hear me out.

I weighed back and forth on what to do, but I think buying this thing new in the long run makes more sense then going without, or trying to make something myself.

Why? What did I buy?

I bought a composter!







I have had this on my Amazon Wish List for at least a year. I have waited in vain for my husband to build one out of a trash can, but living next to a state park we have a high potential of wildlife getting into it. This one is self contained and comes with a wildlife- free guarantee.

(If you would like to know what kind of flora and fauna are near me, I highly encourage you to check out Joy's blog, Joyfully Green. She lives about 45 minutes from me, and her pictures are beautiful!)

I know I pledged to not buy anything new for a year, but I felt that the benefits outweighed the cons to investing in this. I am excited to further reduce my waste.

What do you think? Was the composter a good investment? Or am I just making excuses for breaching the compact?

Things I have bought new so far:
1.) an umbrella (poor planning)
2.) Sneakers for kid
3.) Bathing suit
4.) Composter


8 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Thank you kindly for the shout-out to my blog--much appreciated! And you definitely made the right choice by composting--there's no need for food waste to go to landfills when it can turn into rich soil instead of "garbage." We barely fill a half trash can a week ever since we got our own composter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I know i don't comment much but i am still reading. I am excited to not have as much trash.

      Delete
  2. Katie, you made the right choice. The composter might be new but it will go a long way in reducing your footprint. By composting my scraps I have no need for plastic bags to line the trash can which is another savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what i figure, i hope to be able to ditch plastic bags.

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited for you!! Yay for a composter! Seriously, I love that I have some in my neighbourhood for shared use, cause I can't imagine trying to keep one running right myself. Share all your success and failures with us all, so we can learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have one for shared use- that is awesome. I wish we had that here but my area is a little behind on that.

      Delete
  4. That is exciting, what a great purchase! Definitely a good investment (provided that you actually use it!), and something that will benefit you for a long time. Plus I think it's great that you waited so long - you can be sure you definitely wanted it and it wasn't a whim! Has it arrived yet?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Now i might have to wait another year for my husband to put it together...

      Delete