Tuesday, August 6, 2013

No Clothes Dryer August

One of my guilty pleasures is the dryer. I hesitate to even call it a pleasure, because it's not like I love using it. It's just what I have always done. I know it's bad, and it's been sheer laziness (and the awful humidity, I tell myself) I haven't sought out other options.

But, getting my electric bill last month ($134!!!) (combined with this article) was the kick in the pants I needed.

My husband actually got us this drying rack for Christmas (we're romantic like that) and the time has come for us to use it.

I am rigging some rope up outside (from our camping stuff) and borrowing a bag of clothespins from my mom (total cost of outdoor laundry line: free). If my neighbors are offended by my unmentionables, I will pull out the trusty by laws of our association, which ALLOWS laundry lines. Luckily I don't live in a snooty neighborhood, so I don't anticipate complaints (but have heard stories of people receiving them elsewhere!!)

My hope is that this will have some impact on our outrageous electric bill by the end of this month. That, and thankfully the temperatures here are no longer in the mid 90's (Fahrenheit) with 80% humidity and I no longer need to run my window box air conditioners. (They were clicking on constantly even set at 81*F last month. Really enjoying the more mild weather now.)

I anticipate clothes drying to be like my other habits I've developed, maybe slightly annoying to do the extra step first, but soon to be ingrained into my normal repertoire. (Just like reaching for a rag instead of a paper towel :)

I will report the electric bill next month and let you know my savings.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment