Saturday, October 5, 2013

Low Waste Gift Idea

Yesterday was my Grandma's 92nd birthday. She's still going strong, living in her own house and driving.
Today we are having a party for her, and I have been thinking a lot about what to give her. She always says she does not need anything, (and you can imagine, after 92 years of living and accumulating things, my grandma does not need any more stuff). So I decided on a delicious, decadent fudge recipe that is super easy to make. Food is a good gift to give/receive, it allows you the pleasure of giving something, and then not having to store anything (once you eat it up!)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

(It is Gluten free, but by no means healthy. This is a rich treat, or as we say in our house, a "sometimes food". :)

Ingredients:

1 pound of butter (2 sticks)
3 heaping tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
1 pound of confectioner's sugar
3 heaping tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Method:

Melt butter and peanut butter together.

Mix powdered sugar and cocoa in bowl.

Pour melted butter/peanut mixture into sugar/cocoa mix.

Add vanilla and stir.

Spread into an 8 x 8 dish.

Refrigerate until firm.


That's it, easy peasy lemon squeezy. I then cut it up into squares and put it in a tin/container. I save containers if they are cute so I have something to give my food gifts in.

Do you make homemade/low waste gifts? Please share your ideas!

Katie

8 comments:

  1. Past Christmas' I've done spiced cakes for some friends, the next year I did single use piping bags filled with a hot cocoa mix, painting a red nose, sticking on googly eyes, and a pipe cleaner to seal them (and make Ruldolph horns) as well as making brownies in Christmas tree triangles and piping things onto them. As you can see, baking (and scaling it up) works for me :)

    For my grandma last Christmas, I made her a family album of my immediate family. I'd done albums for both my brother's 21st, but we still had oddles of photos in the two photo boxes, so I thinned them out some more. i think Mum was a bit annoyed when she found out, but as horrible as it might be, when Grandma passes away, those albums will come back, with the photos, so it's not lost, it's just on loan :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the reindeer idea! That would be great to do with kids. Photo albums are great for grandmas. We give my grandma a picture of our son at Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Holy crap! That sounds delicious, but I'd have to walk 5 miles per square. Damn...

    Have a fun in a bun Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah it is delicious and rich, and worth the tightening of pants. Happy Monday to you too !

      Delete
  3. Your fudge looks so good and so naughty! However, when I am 92 I am going to eat whatever I like!
    Other low-waste presents? Growing plants from cuttings, presenting in terracotta or interesting thrifted pots. Succulents make brilliant presents, because you can take a cutting, dry it, then stick it in potting mix, and it will grow. I make little pots with three or more different succulent types, and they look like mini-gardens. Herbs are brilliant too, they all grow from seed or cuttings. You just have to plan for this type of present, which isn't necessarily something I am good at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas! I like giving/getting plants for gifts, although unfortunately I have what I call the "black thumb of death", and my houseplants always seem to die. Maybe they would thrive if I gifted them to someone else :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds so yummy! We need easy-to-make food gifts that we can make AFTER we arrive in Michigan, and this might be the perfect thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious (albeit not healthy :) and is so easy to make. I can imagine traveling with perishable food gifts wouldn't be wise.

      Delete