Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I tried it! - Homemade Dishsoap

I make a lot of homemade cleaning products, and I am always looking to find things that fit this criteria:

1.) All Natural
2.) Cheap
3.) Effective (as in, they work!)

Dish Soap was something I hadn't tried yet- it just seemed complicated to make anything "liquid", so up until now I have been buying Seventh Generation Dish Soap, which unfortunately comes in a plastic squeeze bottle.

I have been reading a lot of one of my new favorite websites, Trash Backwards, and found they had a list of 100 Things you Never Need to Buy (be still my beating heart). Lists like that get me excited. I love not buying! One of the things on there was dish soap, and the recipe was ridiculously easy : baking soda and essential oil ( I used a few drops of lavender). Baking soda comes in a cardboard box, and essential oil in a glass vile, so we have plastic-free dish soap!

I was skeptical, I didn't think it would work. My husband even said, "If baking soda cleans dishes, why are people spending all this money on dish soap?" to that my response was, "marketing?".

I didn't even have to nail holes into a jar lid as she recommended, because I had an old glass paremsan container just waiting to become a dish soap container.







The verdict? Holy guacamole! This stuff works! Even I was surprised, with a sprinkling of this and a scrub  brush my oatmeal pot (pictured at left) was clean! An you know what it's like to scrub gummy oatmeal...

That just made my day. I love finding cheap, natural cleaning recipes that work : )

Do you make your own cleaning products? Would you try this?

5 comments:

  1. This is marvelous. What were the costs of these items and how long might they last compared to a bottle of dish soap? I love that the plastic container can be so easily ditched! Well done, Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The baking soda is cheap. You can get a box for about $5 that I think would last at least a month (or more it's hard to tell, because I use baking soda for everything. Even baking ;). The essential oils are more expensive ($8 a bottle?) but they last forever because you only use a few drops.. I have had my bottle of lavender for over a year. So I am going to say less than a dollar/container? I will have to pay attention better!

      Delete
  2. I have an old metal sugar shaker of baking soda under the sink. Nothing better for baked on mess. Love it! Still use dish detergent though - I buy it in bulk at the wholefoods shop so just refill the same bottle over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had bulk cleansers. I can't find anywhere to buy bulk cleaning products near me.
      I have tried lots of different homemade dishwasher detergents, but I always seem to get a slimy build up in the dishwasher.

      Delete
  3. I also refill a container from the bulk store (aka the coop) but it's not as good as the stuff I bought in the plastic bottle at the normal store.

    I do use bicarb from baked on badless, but I like bubbles for a wash up, so it just won't work for me :p How's that for dodging my green hopes and ambitions?

    ReplyDelete