Monday, March 3, 2014

Compact Monthly Spending Wrap Up

 So, it is the second month of my "compact", or "buy nothing new." I had one breech in which I bought a "character badges" behavior program for my son.

I spent more in February than January, although part of that was because I had to order heating oil.

The total spending for February was $3028.30.

I had a goal of spending $25.00 on take out, which I did not meet. I spent $68.77 on take out this month.

 I realized in doing this that I was approaching it the wrong way. In order to reduce take out costs, I need to be better organized about my grocery store/meal planning. So this month (March) I am going to focus my efforts on low cost meal planning.

My grocery expenditure for February was $501.42. I ultimately would like to get this closer to $400.00, but this month I am going to aim for $475.00. (A little at a time, slow and steady I say..)

I have lowered the thermostat down another degree to help with heating costs. We have had an unusually cold winter with lots of snow, so it cannot be altogether avoided.

The other big expense I am looking at is car gas. Between the two of us we spend $192.45 on car gas. Since I am currently not working, I think I can lower this by driving less. Most of my driving is done to spend time with extended family. I am shooting for $150.00 this month.

I look forward to Spring (hopefully) coming in March with some more mild weather. I actually do not mind the snow, I would be outside a lot more if the baby was not too little. But, I really enjoy having 4 seasons, and I am ready for winter to move on and welcome Spring.

Well, that's all for today. Talk to you soon!

Katie

3 comments:

  1. Our grocery budget has averaged out at about $500 a month for the two of us. Amazingly, this last week, we spent $70 on meat! I don't mind if we spend lots on groceries, as I see it as better than eating out. The BF doesn't see it the same way, but always wants 'more meat' and thinks all the vegies I am buying are pushing the bill up (they are NOT!). Anyhow, we've yet to set a target, so I admire yours!

    Cars just suck money - any chance you could get your family to come and see you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meat is a big expense- I don't eat red meat so that helps. We eat a lot of beans for protein but i also do really love cheese. Fish can be expensive here too. My husband has Celiac disease and is gluten free, and that ups the budget too!

      Delete
  2. Our grocery budget has averaged out at about $500 a month for the two of us. Amazingly, this last week, we spent $70 on meat! I don't mind if we spend lots on groceries, as I see it as better than eating out. The BF doesn't see it the same way, but always wants 'more meat' and thinks all the vegies I am buying are pushing the bill up (they are NOT!). Anyhow, we've yet to set a target, so I admire yours!

    Cars just suck money - any chance you could get your family to come and see you?

    ReplyDelete