Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Zero Waste Actions So Far This Week

I have been very conscious of my waste this week for Zero Waste Week. Here are some things I have done :

1.) Made yogurt out of milk that was past it's sell by date.
(didn't smell funky, but no one really wanted to drink it. voila, yogurt!)

2.) Put some tired apples in my homemade cinnamon apple oatmeal.

Tired fruits and vegetables (which is what I call mushy wilting things but are not moldy yet) are a lot more appealing cooked. And, it tasted great!

3.) Re used a plastic bread bag to pack a sandwich for my son.

4.) Packed a zero waste snack for me- a banana! Bananas are such a great snack, they come in their own package!

5.) Just received my order of Econobums cloth diapers for baby.

(I had to watch a you tube tutorial of how to put them on and practice on a doll, I am embarrassed to admit.)

I am also still reading Garbagology by Edward Humes. I am taking a long time to get through it (especially since we all just started back to school!!)

Are you participating in Zero Waste Week?

Katie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! Two questions: Was it simple to make yogurt from milk that's on the verge of "not good"? I just opened a gallon of milk and the sell-date isn't for a month still, but it's not quite right. I hate to dump the whole thing. Second: Did you read Garbage Land? I'm glad I read it but it was depressing and overwhelming that the garbage problem is so out of control. Garbology seems like it would be along those lines, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The milk wasn't milk I wanted to drink, but it wasn't at the " chunky" stage yet if that helps at all.
      I have not read Garbage Land, Garbagology so far reads like a documentary on the history of America's trash- it is very depressing (especially when you realize how much waste we produce, and how people seem to be unaware/and or not care.
      Katie

      Delete
  2. Wow, my milk seldom spoils as it's shelf stable, so super heat treated. But I would be tempted to try making yoghurt!

    I'm also a big banana fan for their zero waste-ness, but they are great in smoothies when they get bad, which I sort of look forward too! I love banana with milk and cocoa and some oats... mmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our milk isn't shelf stable, it is usually bad a week or so after opening. I am lactose intolerant, so I have to make sure my family drinks it fast.

      I like the idea of banana with milk, cocoa, and oats. I usually do banana with oats and peanut butter :)

      Delete