Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thoughts on Medical Waste

My son had surgery on Monday. Nothing serious, it went well, and he is doing great.

But, sitting in the waiting room at the hospital got me thinking about all the trash that generates from the medical field.

It's a lot.

I would love to hear every one's opinions on this, because as far as I can see a lot of medical waste cannot be avoided, and that is one area I'm willing to let slide.

I was looking at his IV bag and tubing, what could be a replacement for that? Hm, maybe the bag could be something else that they reuse. But, the flexible tubing that connects to the IV needle- I'm not sure what could replace that. And I don't know that I'd want it re-used.

The medical instruments used for the surgery are reused. They are mostly metal (I'm assuming?) and sterilized in the enclave sterilizer. At least they aren't disposable (yet).

He had to wear special surgery pajamas the hospital provided. To my surprise, the hospital takes them back and cleans them for the next patient. (My son was disappointed, he wanted to keep his surgery pajamas.)

The prescription bottles are an easy fix. They could be glass, washed, and refilled. Or, we could save our plastic prescription bottles and bring them in to be refilled. Especially if you have a drug you take regularly. Does anybody do this? I have yet to find a pharmacy that does this. My son's albuterol comes in single doses in plastic viles. That's an easy fix. Put the liquid in one big bottle and measure it out. ( I should get my letter to the company started).

All in all I was actually impressed at the minimal waste in this particular hospital (and of course how well they did with my son, we are blessed to live near the best Children's Hospital in the country (CHOP).

What are your thoughts on Medical/Hospital waste? Do you think it is inevitable?

Katie






8 comments:

  1. Katie!!! I never think of this as I am rarely in hospitals or doctor offices. But it is a legit question. Anything and anyone that makes waste ought to be questioned, no exceptions. I doubt very much that any type of waste is inevitable, although I am sure many would have us think otherwise. Glad your son is ok. Have a twinkling one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cj-
      You are lucky you don't have to spend much time in hospitals or doctor offices! Stay healthy!! Hopefully (other than my impending birth) we will be able to steer clear of hospitals for a while :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, when I was last in hospital I was annoyed to have a Styrofoam cup - they are largely not available in Australia. The BF thinks they might be the least likely to harbour bacteria etc. We don't get almost anything in a plastic bottle - everything is in blister packs, which is even worse to me, mixed materials.

    I also talked to my dentist about single use stuff - she said I can BYO my cups for the 'rinse and spit' - she said I'd be the first, but that doesn't discourage me. The mouthguard with the fluoride gel is even single use styrofoam - I'd prefer reused plastic over that!

    Think about it though - they have syringes and other medical devices before plastics and single use stuff got cheap... so there are options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah-
      That's great your dentist said you could bring a cup. I hadn't even thought of that. There are so many things we could re-use and bring back (like they did back in the 'day). I would have to think it would save money in the long run to not have to keep making new containers. I hate stryrofoam! I will have to see what options I have when I go to the hospital to have my baby. I will make my husband bring my reusable water bottle :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear your son needed the hospital, Katie, but you're right that you're lucky to have CHOP in your vicinity--great hospital indeed. I often think of medical waste (my husband is a doc). The need for sterilized equipment definitely takes its toll on the environment. I have no idea what the solution is--I bet Beth Terry has a few good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy,
      That is awesome that your husband is a doctor! I wish I could be a nurse, but I am so squeamish I can't even handle my son's teeth falling out! (ew!) I agree with you- I have no idea what the solution is. I feel like if there is going to be one area where there might not be zero waste and I am okay with it, it is the medical field.

      Delete
  4. Katie, I've been reading the book Plastic - A Toxic Love Story, which in one chapter tells the story of a nurse who campaigned for years because she realised that the BPAs in IV bags were harming premmie babies' developing endocrine systems. Apparently they have switched to a safer plastic, but eek!
    My daughter had very minor mouth surgery last week, and I was appalled at the plastic waste. The upside for her was she got to bring her oxygen mask and other plastic bits and pieces home to play hospitals with, but really?
    My mum was a nurse back in the day when everything was made from glass and rubber, and everything was sterilised and hospitals were scrubbed properly every day. I think that maybe some single use products, plastic or rubber have to be used in our high tech medical environments, but I think we could be having that conversation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a book I will have to read. I bet also it is really interesting to hear your mum`s nursing stories. My thoughts were based purely on my observations but I would love to do some research on the history of medical supplies/waste.
      It is also interesting to observe despite our single use products infections still run rampant in hospitals · So it does not even seem like they are making a difference on that front.
      Thanks for your input!
      Katie

      Delete