Monday, January 6, 2014

What I'm reading 1.6.14

Wow! I can't believe it is already 2014. I read a lot- here is a bit of what I am reading this week.

Books:

1.) The Bible

I mentioned it is my goal to make it through the Bible this year. (I always seem to get stuck in the Old Testament). I have the New Revised Standard Edition (which I prefer of the English Standard Version). It has an outlined plan to read it through the year day by day- a little bit of the Old and a little bit of the new, which I like. Right now I am at Genesis 13 and Matthew 5 (love the Beatitudes).

2.) I joined an online book group run by Bethany at Piercing the Bubble. We are reading Simple Abundance and having a group discussion through email. Bethany is awesome and I am very excited about this!


3.) I try to keep a fiction book on hand too. I read almost exclusively now on my Kindle, because it is easier while breastfeeding. (Don't get me wrong, I love real books. Nothing beats the smell of a new book..) I download a lot of freebies on my kindle and they are hit or miss. Right now I am reading "Something About Her". It isn't terrible, but it isn't exactly thought provoking. Fine fluff entertainment for middle of the night nursing sessions.




Blogs:

1.) Standard of Living vs. Quality of Life by Jacob at Early Retirement Extreme.

My life looks a lot different than Jacob's, I am not early retired. But, his blog does resonate with me- I like the idea of spending little and being self sufficient. And spending definitely does not define my standard of living.

2.) This is my Brain on Hugs by Jamie the Very Worst Missionary

This cracks me up! I can definitely relate.

3.) Frugal Doesn't Mean Deprived

Yup.

Happy Monday!

Katie

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I am finally reading Simple Abundance with Bethany as well. As for the Kindle I am still trying to get used to reading books on it, I can't get beyond wishing I could thumb the pages. Not sure I will ever be a Kindle lover.

    Thanks for adding a couple of blogs, these are new to me so I will be checking them out, appreciate the suggestions.

    As for what I am reading right now, I am reading Sharing is Good by Beth Buczynski. Very good book with a comprehensive list of websites and ways we can share everything we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out that book. It sounds up my alley :) I still love books, but my MIL gave the kindle to me for Christmas this year and I wasn't into it until now when I am breastfeeding. I could be there spokesperson.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the links, I'm now following Jamie - I just love her attitude! I also read the other two, of course!

    ReplyDelete