Wednesday, December 18, 2013

New Years Plans and a New Direction

It's that time again- the New Year is coming up and most people around this time start to take stock and decide what they want to change in their life.

I usually set some goals, but in the past have failed because I tried to do too much at once, got discouraged, and reverted back to my former ways (which happens often to me as I suspect it does to other people). Having a new baby has forced me to slow down a bit. (For me, adjusting to having 2 kids from 7 years with 1 has been very difficult).

So, I am only going to attempt a few things, and I am giving myself the whole year.

The first is to read the Bible in a year. I am Christian and love religious stuff (all religions, really. I would be a religion scholar if money were not a thang). Religion tends to make people feel uncomfortable (see here :)

The biggest one is that I have decided I am going to do the "compact".

If you do not know what the compact is, it is a group that buys nothing new (except food, toiletries, etc.) I have been interested in this for a while, but have yet to "take the leap". I will add that only I am doing it, I will not force my husband or children too (although I would like them too!). We already buy most of our stuff used anyway, but I really wanted to kick it up a notch.

 The perfect motivation is that I am on unpaid leave from my job for 10 months to take care of my babe. So even though I wasn't exactly raking in the dough before, our income has been cut and I need to find ways to make ends meet. Buying nothing new will definitely cut down on spending, especially impulse purchases (which even I succumb to, even if it is to things like nursing pillows.)

My husband is self employed- he is a musician and music teacher, so income is already sparse and unpredictable. I would not have it any other way. My husband does something he loves and is passionate about (there is no way I could stop him from creating music), he is also a very active father and husband. My kids get to have their life full of music and quality time with us. What is better than that?

My dream has always been to be a stay at home mom, I love the art of homemaking, I just did not think we would ever be able to afford for me to do so - and we might not. I do enjoy my job in the early childhood education field as well.

So, along with the compact I am going to keep a monthly tally of our expenses to see how little we can live on and still lead a happy life. I think it will be an interesting experiment. I love the challenge of spending as little as possible. How low can we go? :)

I am taking inspiration from many other bloggers, such as:

The Non-Consumer Advocate
Early Retirement Extreme
Living Simply Free
http://moneysavingmom.com/

I will be keeping a weekly tally of my purchases/expenses starting in January with a monthly wrap up.

Hope to see you and hear your thoughts along my journey!

Katie


6 comments:

  1. Katie, your new year plans are perfect, taking the pressure off definitely helps. I don't do resolutions, most fail at and I see no point in waiting for a predetermined day of the year to make positive changes in my life. I have been wanting to join the compact myself, but have a few things I really do need. For example, I don't have a stove and cook with a rice cooker for most of my meals. It has a non stick surface which bothers me especially as my grandchildren eat meals prepared in it, I want to buy a stainless steel model as a gift to myself and my family's health. I also have a loveseat that needs reupholstering. The cushions are shot so I am still looking for a non-toxic alternative and then planned to reupholster it with a drop cloth, which I would most-likely need to buy new. Other than those two things I think I could join the compact. Maybe I'll take care of those 2 things and join after. :-)

    I hope you are able to stay home by watching where your money goes, I admire the way you and your husband have created the lives you wanted and put family first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois,
      I am not positive I will be able to buy nothing new- I think all the things you listed make sense and it is still a lot less the the norm. I needed an incentive to stop myself from making impulse purchases, which I seem to be doing more of now that I have the babe. Good luck with your oven and reupholstering. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. What an exciting year you have planned. How to do more with less. I would love to join in as much as possible, even though I am sure I will be buying some new things. I will follow the journey with interest. And what a great goal, to stay home with your kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, am I looking forward to your year! I am struggling through the bible, and lapsed at the quarter way mark, with a recent reattempt. I need to make it a habit/routine. I know I need some quite time, and I know that I seem to prioritise everything over it... I must work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time getting through the old testament- I really enjoy the new one a lot more. Good luck!

      Delete