Friday, November 29, 2013

Do What You Can at Any Given Moment

A ways back I was really into yoga, and that was one of the mantras I learned from one of my instructors. I still like yoga, although my aspiration of being a yoga instructor have taken a backseat to these things called my kids (ha ha). It is hard to find your "zen" when your family room is full of trains/Lego's/diapers/etc. Stepping on Lego's during your practice? Not so relaxing.

But that's not the point, the point is that "do what you can at any given moment" has stuck with me. And although I am in a survival mode right now ( I have not had more than 2 hour blocks of sleep in over 2 weeks! I might be certifiable) and am making concessions on many things, I still try to do what I can at any given moment.

It is slightly ironic I just had a post on homemade cleaners, and right now my bathroom is decked out with anything but. I have outsourced that job to The Honest Company, a natural company that delivers right to your door. Ahem, exactly what I need.

But one thing I am still doing (because I do what I can at any given moment) is making my own laundry detergent, even if it is just to send it with my husband/mother to actually do the laundry with (outsourcing, my friends). Making laundry detergent is just something I find really easy to do. That, and forgoing paper products- (except for cleaning the toilet ( and toilet paper). I do that with recycled toilet paper. What does everyone else clean  their toilet with?) Oh yeah, and I haven't started cloth diapering yet- but after going through 7 diapers in one night, I am holding off for now.

What's in my laundry detergent you might ask? Well it's simple. Borax, washing soda, and grated soap. That's it. I don't even really measure it any more, I just dump it in a container. But, if you want a more solid recipe, I started out with this one. And, for when I am feeling especially lazy, I just order soap flakes and then I don't even have to grate the soap. I just use about a tablespoon per load so it lasts a long while too :)




3 comments:

  1. I skip the borax - I heard it was bad. Otherwise, it's the same.

    I largely clean the toliet with the microfibre cloth, i do the toliet last in the bathroom, and then it goes straight to the washing machine. So far, so good.

    Congrats on outsourcing the washing, I'm not that far yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you use instead of the borax? Or do you just omit it? I was nervous about it because it is harmful if swallowed. Because of my past with poison control, i like to make sure most things are not harmful if swallowed. (my older child seemed to have an affinity for eating shampoo. and soap.)
      Yes I am quite lucky my mom lives close by and is very helpful :)

      Delete
    2. Just omit it, seems to work well (so long as it gets put in the right drawer! THE BF failed that bit).

      Delete