Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Better for the Environment and Your Wallet

I tend to put saving the environment above saving money. Not because I love to spend money or anything, (spending actually tends to make me nervous) but you know, good planets are hard to find.

I attribute this also to my strong INFJ Meyers Briggs, ( This postwhere Jacob from ERE describes "NF" personalities and their "save the planet/save the animals stop consuming " describes me to a T.)

But I know you're like okay, get to the point. I have been experimenting to lower my energy usage while simultaneously lowering my outrageously high electric bill of $134.00.  So last month (July) I took it upon myself to push it to the limit of how far we could go temperature wise. My family was not totally cool (pun intended) with letting go of our window box air conditioner (for reference, I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, temperatures around here in July are usually between 85*F-95*F and loads of humidity). But, our air conditioners do have thermostats, which have been set at 80. I bumped them up to 82*F for the month of July.

It wasn't very comfortable at first, but surprisingly the new normal becomes comfortable quite fast (especially coming inside on a day it is 90 out with 100% humidity.) My already wild curly hair rivals a crazy rodent's nest.

But, my electric bill was $35.00 less this month (and I was still using the clothes dryer in July in case you were wondering, I stopped using it August 1.) I consider this a definite win.

Plus I consumed less, so it wasn't just a win for me, but a win for the environment. Score!

P.S. What's your Meyers Briggs?

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this! I consume less because it's good for me (not only money wise, but to feel more serene). But the positive impact this has on the environment feels wonderful too. :-)

    I'm INTP, the thinker/philosopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my husband is an INTP also- not sure though. I'm glad. I love the camping pictures on your blog! It looks beautiful!

      Katie

      Delete