Saturday, July 13, 2013

Week 1 Plastic Tally

About 2 weeks ago, I saved every all of my plastic trash that I used for a week. It includes everything I used, and things that my family used that I used too. It does not include just things my husband and son used. I am also posting it here Show your plastic.

So, without further ado :



I filled 1 plastic grocery bag with plastic trash. Just for a week! It is hard not to feel discouraged, although I will say that most of this plastic is from things I bought before I got on board with the plastic free/low plastic lifestyle. Most of my plastic waste is from food products :





And much to my dismay my nearest loose bulk food store is 12 miles away, which is discouraging when I like in biking distance to a town less than a mile away with plenty of stores. My nearest Whole foods is a 45 drive (uh).

Followed by bath products :




The hair products are an easy fix. I am going to try some shampoo bars, as there is no bulk shampoo near me, and the baking soda/apple cider vinegar thing made my thick curly hair a nightmare. The other thing is a floss pick (guess I only flossed once that week, oops!) which, so far I have not found any replacement for dental floss. I tried thread, and that was a nightmare.

Lastly is my junk mail plastic envelopes:

I have listed my name on all the stop junk mail websites. Hopefully this will help.

I have to say participating in this challenge has depressed me. I am hyper aware of all the plastic waste around me. Every time I see someone slugging a plastic water bottle I cringe, and I just want to cry. It feels like one person's reduction isn't going to make up for the millions of others.

But, I keep on, with that classic Gandhi quote, "you need to be the change you wish to see in the world." It's a start.

Katie

2 comments:

  1. I came across from Lois' blog but when looking at your other posts realised I'd seen these photos in Beth Terry's email! Small world! Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love Beth's blog. I am trying not to get too discouraged- I feel like I am drowning in plastic!

      Delete